The exploration of a junior puzzler in this vast puzzle world!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Very First Rubik's Cube! Part 1 of My Rubik Journey

Puzzle: 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube
Inventor: Erno Rubik (hence the name)
ST: FAILED-for now...

Working hard...
Since my childhood I haven't had a lot of good experiences with Rubik's Cubes. The most I ever did was to manage to solve one side-that's it. Not sure if it's me or the cubes-still had no luck with those after many years. Today, I saw one of a high-qualitied Rubik's Cube 3x3x3 at one of the stores for a fair price, and deciding that it's a puzzler's duty-Well you know what happened next. Scrambling it was pretty easy, and with the high quality it rarely get stuck, so it was a mess after a matter of seconds. But now solving it was the thing. Still, I managed to get one side complete, and no luck with even one more. Worried if I am even qualified as a puzzler... T-T. The puzzle comes with instructions, but unfortunately I am not so much of a Japanese speaker, so I had to give it up. So as usual I turned to my faithful Macintosh and got on google. Following the site instructions and (I'm such a wood-head) animations, I was finally returning it back. Although I relied on help, I vowed to do better next time, and was wishing to memorize the steps.

As you see, this was only part one of my Rubik's journey, so wait for updates in this series!

UPDATE: Wind forward a couple of weeks I was on my computer looking at blog reviews and saw Moises' review about his rather successful Rubik experience here: http://puzzlerookie.blogspot.tw/2012/03/my-cube-and-me.html?m=1 and he's posted a very helpful Rubik's guide from the website on there, which looked simple enough for me, and I decided to pick up my isolated 3x3x3 again-this time successfully solving it! I still need to remember the algorithm though-no master at Rubik's! There's also a 4x4x4 sitting at my stable but I decides to not touch it for now... Too much for me! I am possibly off to buying a Pynaminx though! And thanks again to Moises for the guide. Keeping updated!

3 comments:

  1. Keep trying and learning - once you have learned some basic techniques then you can apply them to more many more difficult puzzles. This morning I solved a 4x4x6 cuboid using the techniques I have learned before. I now own 37 different twisty puzzles and love them!

    A really good way to start is to learn the "Marshall ultimate technique" - Rline from the TP forum has a fantastic site to explain it to you. It is not for speed but is great for needing only 2 easy to learn algorithms and lots of thought/planning. I always use this technique as a secondary one as it is good to use multiple methods for each new puzzle. He has expanded its use to many more than the standard 3x3 cubes. Try it - you will love it!!
    Ultimate solution

    Kevin
    Puzzlemad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I must get a Rubik's Cube for myself. I have never owned one and never really played with one either ...

    ReplyDelete